Electric power has been proven to be globally more environmentally friendly than any other form of power generation. Boats require less power to move a mass from A to B than other forms of transport. There are many good reasons for this, i.e. low friction, low speed and no hills. Combining these features, electrically propelled boats on inland waterways are the most efficient form of transport available, both globally and at the point of use where there is no noise, no pollution and no fuss.
The Electric Boat Association (EBA) was founded in the UK in 1982 to promote the development of Electric Boating and to serve the needs of all who have an interest in electric boating, boat owners or business members.
The EBA promotes electric boating throughout the UK and is the voice for electric boat owner's interests at discussions with the inland waterway authorities and government departments involved with legislation for inland waterways issues such as waterway access, charging points, slipway facilities, reduced licence fees and the Boat Safety Scheme etc.
The constitution of the Electric Boat Association download (PDF)
Advantages of membership for boat owners
- Technical information
- Full details of the range of electric boats and equipment available in the UK
- The opportunity to participate in rallies, cruises and social events, nationwide
- Free Information Sheets on a wide range of technical and practical issues
- Electric boat insurance premiums at a lower rate compared to standard marine insurance and a further 10% premium discount to EBA members
- Friendly source of help and advice from other members
Serving the interests of our business members:
- Organising stands at Exhibitions and Boat Shows and distributing trade literature on behalf of our business members
- Directing enquiries received to the relevant business member and offering the opportunity to advertise on the website
- Supervising competitions and challenges which improve the public profile of electric boating
- Membership of and active participation in discussions involving legislation concerning inland waterways and representation on the Parliamentary Waterways Group
- Responses to Government consultation documents on environmental and technical issues
- Discussions with navigation authorities on licensing issues and recharging facilities
Electric Boat Magazine
All members receive Electric Boat, the only magazine in the UK produced solely to provide information to would-be electric boat owners and those who already have an electric craft.
Free to EBA members, it contains a wealth of interesting articles and news of shows and rallies particularly relevant to electric boat enthusiasts.
Technical articles of interest to electric boaters and technical tips offering advice on boat maintenance form regular features of the magazine, together with information on new products and developments in the electric boating world, both in the UK and overseas.
Forthcoming events organised by the Association, or at which the EBA is represented, are also publicised and social events to which members or enthusiasts are invited to participate are highlighted.
The Electric Boat magazine reports on the latest developments in the electric boating world. Each issue contains news from home and abroad as well as coverage of the most recent boat shows.
If you would like more information about the Electric Boat Association, please contact the EBA Secretary: